The typical Cuban flavors
In this article, we will tell you a great homemade recipe step by step. The main ingredients are the “Frijoles negros” or black beans. Please, see below the ingredients and the procedures to cook our black beans, a typical Cuban recipe.
- 450 gr of black beans.
- 4 cloves of garlic.
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika.
- 100 ml olive oil.
- 1 onion.
- 2 liters of water.
- 1 red pepper.
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin.
- 1 bay leaf.
- A few leaves of coriander.
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano.
- 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper.
- 2 tablespoons of sherry vinegar.
- 100 ml white wine.
- First of all, we put in a saucepan the black beans, 2 liters of water, half red pepper, the cilantro, the bay leaf, the cumin and the oregano. If the beans are tender, it is not necessary to soak them, but if it is the contrary, we will soak them until they swell.
- On the other hand, we recommend you to use a pressure cooker since the cooking time will be less (30 min approx). Otherwise, if you use a conventional pan it will take 45 minutes.
- Then, while the black beans soften, prepare a sauce. To do this, we must peel the garlic and mix it with salt and ground black pepper. Then, cut the onion very small and 1/2 pepper.
- Do not forget to heat 80 ml of olive oil in a pan. When the pan is hot, we add the garlic “crushed” with salt and pepper, and then the onion and pepper until poached.
- Then, after 45 minutes of cooking the black beans, add the sauce. After this time, we incorporated vinegar, wine, paprika and sugar and left for the last 15 minutes in the fire.
- Finally, we add the remaining olive oil (about 20 ml) mix and rectify salt.
We hope the article “Black beans, a typical Cuban recipe” has been useful and interesting for you. We encourage you to cook this recipe or if you prefer you can visit beautiful Cuba to taste it.
Please, take note that if you travel to this country you will need a Cuba travel visa.